Autonomous Community Action (ACA) is a dynamic and participatory form of civic engagement focused on the needs and aspirations of local communities. It represents an important voice in the construction of a more inclusive, egalitarian, and democratic society.
ACA is built upon the mobilization of citizens to address the specific needs and challenges of their community.
The 8 criteria of autonomous community action
The first four criteria apply to all community action organisations:
- Have non-profit status
- Be rooted in its community
- Maintain a democratic and associative life
- Be free to determine its mission, orientations, approaches, and practices.
There are four additional criteria for autonomous community action organizations (ACA):
- They must have been set up on the initiative of people in the community.
- Pursue a specific social mission that promotes social change
- Demonstrate civic-minded practices and broad approaches, focusing on the global nature of the issues addressed
- Be governed by a board of directors that is independent of the public network